About the Space
The Noel Studio’s spaces are designed to help you think critically and creatively about your communications projects. Centrally located in the Crabbe (Main) Library and designed to facilitate multiple learning styles, the Noel Studio is a 10,000 square-foot space that encourages active learning and collaboration.
What can I do at the Noel Studio?
- Work alone, in small groups, or with a highly trained consultant to brainstorm, draft, or refine communication projects in an interactive, high-energy environment
- Adjust multiple high-tech and low-tech spaces to accommodate diverse learning styles, communication projects, and collaborative groups
- Move furniture to create your own ideal environments for designing effective communication
How can I use different Noel Studio spaces for my communication projects?
Greenhouse: open area where the majority of consultations take place
- Skylights, bright paint colors, and artwork from local artists fosters an inviting and creative environment to work in
- A plethora of seating and tables are placed throughout the space, most of which are on wheels, thereby making it easy to move around and use the space as you see fit
- Contains six HP ProOne 400 computers and three Mac computers, with the full Adobe suite, that have printing capabilities
- Open space for students to study freely
Breakout Spaces: rooms capable of accommodating groups (5-7 people) and feature a computer workstation, large monitor, and a whiteboard
- Reserve with or without a consultant to plan and refine group communication projects
- Check out a camera and use the space to record or rehearse group presentations
- Reduce speech anxiety by inviting a few friends or classmates to act as your audience as you practice an individual speech
Practice Rooms: capable of accommodating individuals or small groups (2-3 people) and feature a computer workstation, large monitor, and a whiteboard
- Reserve with or without a consultant to plan and refine individual communication projects
- Check out a camera and use the space to record or rehearse individual presentations
- Reserve room for private, quiet study space
Media Wall: three mounted 65” touchscreen monitors with laptop connectivity
- Bring a laptop to connect to allow contributions from all group members (HDMI cords available at reception desk)
- Interact with multiple components of your communication projects at once. Use touch-screen monitors for group collaboration on projects such as essays, PowerPoints, and Prezis
Invention Space: wall-to-wall whiteboards, manipulatives, resource closet, Kapp Board
- Brainstorm ideas visually on wall-to-wall dry-erase boards
- Use low-tech manipulatives—like Legos, Play-Doh, and writeable, magnetic tiles--to design creative prototypes or "think with your hands"
- Access a variety of manuals, books, and guides ranging in subjects from MLA and APA formatting to résumé writing
- Outline and organize essays, projects, and/or presentations on the Kapp dry-erase board, then save an image of your work to a USB flash drive
The Noel Studio includes three classroom spaces; for more information regarding use of these spaces, visit Room Reservations: Policies & Procedures:
Breakout 3 Classroom: equipped with a large, touchscreen SMART board and moveable node chairs
- Small, moveable chairs with desk attachments create a dynamic, fluid atmosphere that can quickly rearrange according to need
- Touchscreen SMART board with webcam allows for a technologically-enhanced learning space
Discovery Classroom: equipped with three projection screens and moveable furniture
- Around the room projection and comfortable, moveable furniture allows for dynamic, interactive presentations
- Inspires informal discussion between students and faculty in a non-traditional classroom setting.
Conference Room: conference tables, comfortable seating, and projector
- Allows for networking with campus, regional, and national partners via Interactive Tele-Video (ITV).
- Flexible meeting space that offers students and faculty an alternative to classrooms or boardrooms for professional presentations and collaborations.