Southeastern Writing Center Association Conference
Call for Proposals
The conference theme, “Next-Gen WC: Composing Spaces, Exploring Ideas,” embodies the space that will host these conversations: the Noel Studio for Academic Creativity, a new mission and vision that integrates writing, research, and communication in a technologically sophisticated environment that encourages creativity and collaboration. Let’s reconsider familiar conversations—staffing, budget, and perception—while composing next-generation spaces and exploring new ideas in writing center theory and practice.
The early deadline for registration is December 9, 2012.
- For presentation confirmation to remain on the conference program as scheduled: Noon, February 19
- Advanced registration via check: Thursday, February 2, 2012 (2 weeks in advance)
- Registration for Regal Beagle: Thursday, February 2, 2012 (2 weeks in advance)
- Advanced registration via PayPal: Thursday, February 9, 2012 (1 week in advance)
- Cancelation with full refund: Friday, January 27, 2012
- Onsite registration available by check only.
Accommodations, Travel, and Parking
You can find more information about travel here.
SWCA participants will have access to the Alumni Coliseum parking lot. For a campus map, please click here.
The Student Services Building is a short walk from Alumni Coliseum. You can catch the campus shuttle to Keen Johnson.
Dining and Attractions
In addition to a variety of dining options, Richmond, KY offers visitors a unique array of attractions, including shopping and historical venues. Visit Richmond's Tourist Department to learn more.
Keynote Reception at the Regal Beagle
The Regal Beagle, located on Main Street, is within walking distance of the university. Its unique location within the historic Glyndon Hotel, support of EKU, and original takes on traditional recipes make it one of the newest favorites in Richmond.
Those of you attending the keynote reception at the Regal Beagle will find several close parking lots that are available after hours. There is also ample roadside parking within a close walk. Suggestions for parking include:
- roadside parking on Third Ave.
- parking lot directly behind Regal Beagle on Third Ave.
- parking lot across from the Regal Beagle
The owners of the Regal Beagle have worked closely with SWCA conference planners to customize the menu* for the reception to follow Cynthia Selfe's keynote presentation:
- Chicken fingers
- Pulled pork bbq
- Fettuccini alfredo
- Salad with a home-made poppyseed vinaigrette
- Beer cheese platter
They will also feature a selection of specialty drinks, including local selections.
*The Regal Beagle will provide a plated dinner of fish tacos on corn tortillas for conference attendees who indicated special dietary needs (including gluten or wheat allergies) on the registration form. Please email email@example.com if you need to make further arrangements for dietary concerns.