Incorporate & Encourage Consultations (Syllabus Recommendations)
Beginning Monday, February 22, Noel Studio consultations are available to students both ONLINE and IN-PERSON. Students and faculty can learn more about online consultations by visiting For Students > Online Consultations, and more about our COVID-19 policies and procedures for IN-PERSON consultations by visiting COVID-19 POLICIES/UPDATES.
See our brief and full syllabus recommendations, as well as tips and best practices for encouraging consultation use among your students, below.
Thank you for your understanding. Please direct questions and/or concerns to email@example.com.
NOTE: Space, online consultation, and in-person consultation hours differ. You can view all hours on our Hours & Location page.
What is the mission of the Noel Studio for Academic Creativity?
The Noel Studio integrates support for writing, speaking, research, and multimodal communication and helps EKU students develop effective communication skills by promoting critical and creative thinking through peer-to-peer meetings called consultations. The Noel Studio integrates support for writing, speaking, research, and multimodal communication and helps EKU students develop effective communication skills by promoting critical and creative thinking through peer-to-peer meetings called consultations. Your and your students can learn more about consultations by visiting For Students: About the Consultations.
How can Noel Studio [online] consultations help my students?
Noel Studio consultations are designed to create stronger, more effective researchers, writers, and communicators, not just better communication products. Our consultants approach student products as a lens through which to teach information literacy, critical reading, and communication/writing strategies students can use throughout their lives.
During a consultation, consultants listen and ask questions, provide options, make suggestions, share resources, etc., in order to equip students with a post-consultation revision plan—consultants never merely “edit” or “fix” a student’s work. As such, while students may not leave a consultation with the “perfect” paper, presentation, or product, they should leave with new insights about how to revise and improve upon their work.
How can I best incorporate Noel Studio [online] consultations in my course(s)?
If you would like to formally introduce the Noel Studio into your courses through credit-earning consultations, required consultations, and/or by suggesting consultations broadly or individually, please consider the following best practices for incorporating consultations into your course/assignment design (in addition to including a Noel Studio blurb in your syllabi):
- Ensure your prompts and rubrics are accessible in multiple formats; instruct students to bring any such guidelines and/or assignment-related course materials with them to the consultation.
- Ask students to schedule consultations for projects they intend to continue to work on after the consultation; some students may also benefit from multiple consultations punctuated by revision, additional research, conferencing with faculty, etc.
- Encourage students to schedule their consultation with plenty of time to spare before their assignment is due to ensure adequate time for revision; our full semester consultation schedule is generally available as soon as classes begin.
If you elect to require or offer credit for Noel Studio consultations, consider establishing a wide window for scheduling appointments, staggering consultation deadlines for large classes or multiple sections, and/or guiding students on how to make the best use of their time with us. For example:
- Survey students about perceived strengths and weaknesses related to the writing and/or communication expectations of your course or a particular assignment. Then connect each individual student’s required consultation to potential growth areas. This approach helps stagger consultations over the semester, while also ensuring students understand the value and relevance of the consultation. Consider something like the CUF questions: What are you confident about? What are you uncertain of? What fills you with dread?
- Model and/or highlight the importance of consultations by talking about your own writing/creating processes and the ways in which you seek constructive feedback from peers and/or colleagues—you can even share a specific experience in which you found such feedback invaluable! This helps destigmatize help-seeking and reinforces the idea that consultations aren’t just for “bad” writers/communicators.
- Reinforce the value of revision by having students seek consultation services following a first draft; students can use their consultation to have a consultant help them address your concerns/feedback/suggestions for improvement.
If you would like to talk about incorporating Noel Studio consultations into a specific course or assignment, or would like more information about our consulting pedagogy, please contact the Noel Studio directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I recommend the Noel Studio for Academic Creativity to my students?
Consider including information about the Noel Studio on your syllabus (see below) and/or scheduling a Noel Studio Orientation and/or Noel Studio Q&A Session in your course (we offer both asynchrounous and synchronous remote options).
In your feedback to individual students, you might consider including statements like: “Your [assignment] would have been more convincing if you had [area for improvement]. For your next project, consider an online consultation with the Noel Studio to discuss strategies for [addressing area for improvement]."
If you have questions about the feedback your student received during a consultation, please contact the Noel Studio directly at email@example.com.
Brief Syllabus Recommendation:
EKU’s Noel Studio for Academic Creativity is a free resource offering writing, communication, and research support for undergraduate and graduate students from any major or class. At the Noel Studio, trained consultants can help you with essays, presentations, research posters, visual aids, multimodal products, and more. Students can ask for help at any stage of the communication process—from brainstorming to final revision, and every point in between! Consultations are fully online for Spring 2021. You can learn more about online consultations at studio.eku.edu/online-consultations; schedule your own online consultations by following the directions at https://studio.eku.edu/schedule-appointment. Have questions or need help scheduling? Use the chat box at studio.eku.edu!
Full Syllabus Recommendation:
EKU’s Noel Studio for Academic Creativity is a free resource offering writing, communication, and research support for undergraduate and graduate students from any major or class. Through the Noel Studio, all EKU students have access to online consultations—one-on-one, individualized meetings focused on your writing and communication questions. Students can ask for help at any stage of the communication process—from brainstorming to final revision, and every point in between! You can schedule online consultations at times that are convenient to you and at times of the semester that are most beneficial, usually before major assignments are due.
While you can schedule an online consultation with the Noel Studio at any point in the communication-development process, even if you don’t have anything substantial yet, your online consultation will be most helpful if you take the time to:
- Prepare questions/ideas/strategies in advance: Identify specific questions/ideas/strategies that will guide your research and thinking about the project while you're in the online consultation.
- Prepare to participate in the consultation: Noel Studio online consultations are designed as collaborative experiences to encourage student learning. Thus, you will actively discuss your project with the consultant and take part in invention techniques and activities.
- Allot time to revise and reflect after you leave the online consultation: Identify the possibilities raised during the online consultation that are helpful to you and leave enough time to reflect on and incorporate feedback and suggestions from the consultation.
- Revise and rethink: Noel Studio online consultations are intended to support multiple learning styles. Use the online consultation to rethink critical aspects of your project.
The Noel Studio will help with writing or communication projects in any subject, including traditional essays, research papers, and proposals; out-of-class projects such as scholarship applications, graduate school applications, and business letters; multimedia such as digital narratives, videos, podcasts, and online portfolios; and oral presentations, conference talks, and panel presentations. After each online consultation, you will receive verification of your visit and a summary of what was discussed.
Consultations are online-only for Spring 2021 and feature real-time audio, video, and text-based chat options; you can use any combination of these tools during the consultation. You can schedule and access a consultation from anywhere with Internet access.
Learn more about online consultations at studio.eku.edu/online-consultations; schedule your own online consultations by following the directions at https://studio.eku.edu/schedule-appointment. Have questions or need help scheduling? Use the chat box at studio.eku.edu!
Please remember that the Noel Studio does not write, proofread, or grade projects.